Thursday, March 23, 2017

What We Should be Doing More Of ... or, What Makes This Job Fun

A junior, Thomas Freiberg, approached me a while ago with an idea: can we have a ‘hack-a-thon’ at the school? As an administrator, I bristled at the word ‘hack’ and my first impulse was to kindly discourage him. Thomas explained what such an event entailed and we decided to give it a try. Over the course of several months, we put the event together – arranging spaces in the building, ordering kits and reaching out to presenters from various technology fields – and began to see who’d be interested.

This morning, fourteen NCHS students are working in teams on coding or robotics projects that they will present at the end of the day. Some are in the AP Computer Science Principles class, some are members of the VEX Robotics Club, some are just computer hobbyists.



As an old social studies teacher, I have no idea what they’re saying to each other or about which they’re making inside jokes. What I do recognize is creativity, collaborative problem-solving and mutual respect for the skills and insights each team member brings to the project. When the reach a point where they could say they’re finished, one makes a suggestion on how their project could be even better. I’ve been getting questions like, “Can I go get a [certain tool I don’t know]?” and “Can we add sensors so that they robots can [do something I don’t honestly understand]?” I’ve had CTE Chair and technology educator, Jim Zambarano, on speed-dial all morning.  Other staff members and students will be filtering in and out all day, seeing what their peers are doing; witnessing what can be done with an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment